Broadview-Thomson Homework Policy
Homework is assigned either to reinforce and/or practice skills that have been learned or taught throughout the school day, or to complete task and/or projects that were begun in class. Homework can also be used to build background knowledge and introduce a skill/concept to be used in future lessons. Homework is often a perfect opportunity to differentiate to usher in success for all.
The weekday guidelines for homework are based on grade level. Please note these are averages for the whole school year. There may be nights/evenings/weeks where students spend more time due to a project, etc…
|Grade Level||Recommended Minutes of Reading Per Night||Recommended Amount of Homework Per Night|
|1st Grade||20||5 minutes|
|2nd Grade||20||10 minutes|
|3rd Grade||25||10 – 15 minutes|
|4th Grade||30||10 – 20 minutes|
|5th Grade||30||10 – 20 minutes|
|6th Grade||30||30 – 60 minutes|
|7th Grade||30||30 – 60 minutes|
|8th Grade||30||30 – 60 minutes|
- To provide meaningful homework assignments that students can complete independently.
- To clearly communicate homework directions and expectations.
- To monitor the amount of homework assigned so that it corresponds to school guidelines.
- To provide feedback on homework in a timely manner
- To assume responsibility for completing homework independently and to the best of the student’s ability.
- To make sure to understand homework assignments by listening to directions, asking questions when something is unclear, and carefully reading instructions.
- To gather all necessary materials to complete assignments before leaving the classroom, and return homework assignments to school on time.
- To ask for help if they are having difficulty with the homework assigned.
- To provide a consistent routine and environment that is conducive to completing homework. Provide limits/guidelines on “screen time.”
- To ensure that the student receives the educational benefit from the assignment by encouraging independence, offering assistance and answering questions as needed without influencing the result.
- To notify the teacher if the homework is creating a problem at home.